A Tool in His Hand

Why did I think that this time I had God figured out?  Ha!!

Julie and I had thought that the delay in leaving for PNG was because I was to help my 87 year old father when his back operation occurred a couple days ago.  It was, in fact, very good that I was there as his advocate, to help encourage him the first and toughest day, and to help him cope as days drag by.  The operation was a huge success in the opinion of the surgeon (a Christian and friend of my father) and he says dad is doing far better than anyone could have imagined.  Dad is already walking as part of his therapy and will move from the hospital to a rehab facility on day 5.  Thank you, Lord!

What I hadn’t expected (but God planned all along) is that two of the hospital staff seem to have been placed into my sphere of influence.  Once it became known that I’m a missionary and about to leave for PNG, Doug and Karen each individually spent time talking to me about their keen interest in using their time and talents in some kind of missionary work.   From my conversations with them, they do in fact seem to have a relationship with God, not just secular people looking to do something meaningful.  They’ve been thinking about this for years and my presence may be the catalyst.

So, God knew more reasons for my being at the hospital than I did.  Why am I surprised?

Driving home this afternoon, it struck me that this encounter with Doug and Karen had nothing much to do with me.  It’s the painter that is the real genius and it is his hand creating the painting as his hand moves.  The paintbrush is not all that important in the process.  Today, it was God at work in the hearts of two hospital workers, simply using an available tool (me).

I feel good about that.  In fact, I feel very good about that.  I'm not important.  God is important.  I don't have to "perform" perfectly because God is perfect.  All things are accomplished according to His purpose.  He gets the glory.  

It’s exactly the attitude I need to have and exactly where I want to be… here and in PNG.

Please take a moment and pray for Doug and Karen, that they will listen to God speaking into their lives and obey.  “The fields are white with harvest but the workers are few.”


Comments