Don't get a cold in PNG

(While colds back home seem to last only 2-3 days, both Julie and I have had colds that have lasted over a week.  Here's a report from Julie...)

Here in Tok Pisin they say, “Kus i kisim mi,” which means, “A cold got me!” That seems to make a lot more sense than “I caught a cold.” Who’d want to do that?

After two weeks with my PNG cold, I slept this past Friday until 8:30 and then spent two hours debating whether to go to work or to the clinic. I went to work. My co-worker, Eric, told me to go to the clinic. My other co-worker, Andy, reminded me how we had to jump through all kinds of medical hoops back home to prove that we were fit to come here; but once you’re here, you have to be on death’s door before they will take an interest. So, he said not to bother with the clinic for a cold.

When I was just at the point of tossing a coin, they both said, “Ah, just go!” So, I did!

The delay at home and in the office put me out on the street just as the doctor was passing by on his way to the post office. Just the person I wanted to see, he graciously listened to my plight and told me that I could get 12-hour Sudafed cold medicine over-the-counter from the pharmacy without needing an appointment.

I hurried to the clinic where I found that the pharmacy is closed because they are short-handed. I could either fill out a requisition for the medicine (which could then take up to 5 days before I would get it in our PO box) or I could make an appointment with the nurse for that afternoon and get the medicine today. I would still have to pay for a half hour appointment, even though it would only be a 2-minute visit.

Resigned, I began the process of making the appointment when my next door neighbor, Donna, appeared in the receptionist’s area. She was the nurse on duty and hearing my voice came and asked what I needed and got it for me.

All of this the Lord’s perfect timing---What a blessing!

Comments