Now that's a scary thought!

I wasn't sure how today was going to turn out.

Corey and I were dropped off at the Bissau Center by Estevao where I was expecting to be busy extending our network into the national church council's offices. At the last minute yesterday, Estevao decided that we should also run a cable to a guest apartment about 250' away so that guests could have good internet connectivity during their visit. His last minute additions to our workload is a trademark of his and, while not really convenient, has become expected.

Boards for cars to drive over
A couple of men from the national council (including the director) had dug most of the trench yesterday. Because of adding the guest apartment cable to the project, these workers and I spent most of the morning waiting for someone from the translation office to purchase network cable that I would need. It was a slow morning. Most everything in Africa is slow.  The whole morning wasn't a loss because Corey finished upgrading the power system with new monitoring capabilities and spent time training a Guinea-Bissau man.

We finally had all the parts on hand so we laid the PVC pipe in the trench, ran a pair of network cables through it, drilled holes through the cement walls in both offices and were able to finish running wires from outside to the network gear. It was really dirty work and everything I was wearing will be washed tomorrow. I used my screwdriver to scrape off the moist red soil clogging my sneakers before I could walk inside or get into the car for the return trip. I wasn't even ready to be seen in a local place to eat dinner.

We finished the day around 7 pm. I will return to Bissau tomorrow and finish mounting a network plug (port) in the council's office and then finish running the other cable around the back of the same building to where our guest apartment is.

I had mentioned before that Estevao has been not feeling well. Initially diagnosed with kidney stones, he returned to Bissau a couple of days later for more testing and got a new diagnosis of colon problems. He had a fever through last night so decided to see the doctor (or maybe a different one) today. When he and Gloria picked us up around 8 pm, the new diagnosis is colon problems PLUS malaria. Wow! Since he was not well, we didn't have supper until we got back to Lendem where Gloria cooked a simple meal of scrambled eggs plus fruit. You can sure pray for this couple. They aren't sleeping well. Estevao needs to rest/sleep though he's in great demand.

Estevao made a statement about us driving ourselves to Bissau tomorrow morning. Corey looked over at me and asked how I felt about driving to Bissau.

Now that's a scary thought!  While driving is on the correct (right) side of the road and I have confidence I know which fork to take at various points along the way, I'd be concerned first because of all the pedestrian and taxi/van activity clogging the roads and second because I don't have an international license. 

Other than that... no worries. :^)

So William has been asked to take Corey and me to Bissau tomorrow morning. Aren't you relieved?

Remember, pray for Estevao and Gloria.

Comments