What is the church?

We were invited to attend the graduation of Translators’ Training Course 2014, a 6 week course held at the Pacific Training Center here at Ukarumpa.  50 national translators from 14 language groups completed the first level training or had returned for levels 2 or 3.  The amazing commitment of these (mostly) men is evident.  Most are unpaid as translators. Wives and families demonstrate their support by staying behind on their own in their villages during the six weeks.

 
Some students singing to the Lord
At the graduation, there was time for worship, encouragement and prayer.  Among the speeches was a devotion by the director of PTC, Max Sahl.  His message focused on the church and was really clear. “The church is not a building, and the church is not a denomination. The church is people—believers in Christ,” he said.  These translators had been selected by their church to come and prepare the Word of God in their heart language.  Their job was not to finish it and put it on a shelf for themselves, but to bring it back to the church and ensure it was effectively used there.  Some of these translators would return home, see something in their church they didn’t like and abandon the church.  Max challenged them to not do that.
 
What struck me, not because Max said it, but because God reminded me once again, is that church is those believers that surrounds me no matter where I am.  Much of my life has been spent moving into new communities (college, Navy assignments, new jobs in new locations, joining Wycliffe, overseas assignments, etc).  The body of Christ has often been my closest “family”, closer to me than my geographically dispersed parents and siblings. (Sorry, family.  I do love you.)

I immediately feel at home here In Ukarumpa because I’m surrounded by family.  Even in a ceremony with many men and women that I’ve never met, who exist in a culture vastly different than mine, and whom I may never see again on this earth, I am connected.
 
What is the church?  People connected because of Jesus.
 
And some day we will enjoy another celebration.  We will be the bride of Christ, gathered around His throne.  People from every tongue, tribe and nation … the church.
 
 

Comments