What lasts?

Don't ask me why this popped into my head now 'cause I don't know why, other than God brought it to mind.

When I was a naval officer, many years ago, I was stationed on the USS Skate, a nuclear submarine, and then the USS Forrestal, a conventional aircraft carrier.  The USS Skate was decommissioned in 1986 and awaiting scrapping in the Puget Sound in 1994. 



USS Skate in 1994, awaiting scrapping with other subs

The USS Forrestal was decommissioned in 1993 and sold for scrap for 1 penny in February (2014) and towed to Brownsville, TX.

USS Forrestal (CV59) underway
 
USS Forrestal (CV59) under tow (February 2014)


After leaving the Navy in 1986, I worked for Polaroid at manufacturing plant in Waltham, MA which made the (then) well-known Time-Zero film for the popular Polaroid SX-70 camera.  The plant was a huge, 3 floor facility that operated 24x7 except for the traditional holidays.  (It’s here that I first began my career in Information Technology.)  Production of Time-Zero file ended in 2005.  Out of nostalgia I drove by the plant ~5 years ago, only to find the plant abandoned.
 
We invest so much of our lives in areas that we remember fondly or believe have lasting value, only to find that we were investing in something that simply ceases to be of any importance.
 
You probably learned about the "Law of Entropy" in science.  I learned about this in High School Physics.  In short, the law says that everything is running down.  Everything wears out, runs down, and breaks. Nothing is forever.
 
Or it there something?
 
Julie and I are working for the Kingdom now.  We serve an eternal God.  He never grows weary.  He never runs down.  And 1 Peter1:25 says “… but the word of the Lord ensures forever.”
 
We may be missionaries on the field in Papua New Guinea (currently), serving He who is from eternity past and for eternity future, living by His word, which also stands forever (and is forever true). 
 
If you, our reader, are also a Christian, rejoice that this is true of your life as well.  Work for that which lasts forever… God and his word.  Invest your life in something that lasts.  It may not be as a missionary but you can have your own ministry: in the church, at work, in your community.
 
If you are not a believer in Jesus Christ, seek out someone who is.  Learn about what lasts.
 
 

Comments

Anonymous said…
Jon and Julie - God bless you as I know he does. You have brought tears to my eyes this morning. If only...If only...everything we do could be for HIS Kingdom. My husband and I recently spoke of how we can minister where we are in this life - but our eyes must be open and most importantly our hearts. At times I feel as though I want to explode and talk about The Lord and how he has changed my life - or shall I say - how my eyes were closed and now are open to His glory. Thanks and praise to God for everything and always! Prayers your way. Beth