Em Nau! -- 'wow!' in Tok Pisin

A note from Jon:

For the last two years, Julie has been working on a team at JAARS to develop media resource tools to help with Bible translation. Some of our friends back home have seen her demonstrate the Genesis or Luke Photo Images, Stories and Video Templates DVDs which they have created. But her excitement then was nothing compared to the electrifying experience today when she got to share these resources with translators, literacy workers, and others who actually are on the front line.

Here is Julie's report about the day:

One of two presentations
Wow” is the only word I can think of after demonstrating three newly-released media resource DVDs from JAARS VMS to packed rooms at a Scripture Use Open House Wednesday.

At the end some people had tears in their eyes. Others broke into spontaneous applause. Here are comments from some of the attendees.

“Please tell your colleagues at JAARS thank you for all the work they have put into making this happen.”

“This is just what we need.”

“The people in our villages will love this.”

“I have wanted to do something with video, but the challenges were too daunting. These are projects I can do—and I will.”

“This is what we have been waiting for!”

“Why didn’t we know about this before?”

“Are you presenting this again, I want my wife to see this.”

“Now I know why God had me stay here while my husband went to the village. God wanted me to learn about this!”

“Our local translator in the village will love putting these stories together.”

“I already have Genesis translated. Preparing the scripts will be easy. And the Bible stories will generate tremendous interest in God’s Word.”

One person stopped a friend who was on the way to another workshop and said, “You have to come this afternoon and hear this presentation. You just have to see this!”

Several people asked where they could order the DVDs. The Scripture Use office took many orders. People here are careful about spending, but many saw this purchase as an investment. Often language projects take years before something is finished that can be used. Translators became excited when they realized that these Bible stories could be translated, recorded, put into videos and made available in a matter of days or weeks.

At the beginning of my demo, I shared that Jon and I are here in PNG, not because of what I do, but because Jon was needed to fill in for a staff shortage. But at the end, many said that what I shared with them today was proof that God had a reason for my being here, too.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Wow. God in his infinite wisdom chooses when to let us see the results of our labors. He calls us to plug along and not grow weary. BUT WHEN HE LETS US SEE THE FRUIT SO CLEARLY -- IT'S AWESOME. GO, JULIE! (Oops. Go, God! Through Julie.) --- bro-in-law Donald Limmer
sue colbert said…
Wish I could have been there...I would have been "wowing" right along with the rest of them.

"Like cold water to a weary soul,
So is good news from a distant land

(P.S. I'm the weary soul; you're the distant land.) :)
jlm said…
How awesome and soul-satisfying it must be to see His hand at work! He is the grand designer who is sovereign over all :)