A change in plans

Today was supposed to be a day in Lendem, with tomorrow being our last day at the Bissau center. I had a healthy list of items to get done in Bissau and not much on today's Lendem agenda.
We normally have breakfast at 7:30 am. We have some kind of dry cereal (currently generic corn flakes), mixed with a flavored yogurt (banana today), some bread, and perhaps some fruit. We normally leave for Bissau (if we're going) as close to 8 am as possible. Estevao and Gloria have been going every day but Corey and I only went Tuesday and supposedly tomorrow.

It was 7:55 am when I got a bit nervous about leaving just one day for my Bissau to-do list. I suddenly decided to spend today as well as tomorrow in Bissau. Corey stayed behind (and found himself pretty busy most of the day).

My day was spent wrapping up my laser printer project (see yesterday's blog). In particular, rather than asking others including several national workers to try and follow my documented steps, I offered to make the change for them so that they could print directly over the network. I did this for about 7 computers. It was so cool and rewarding to see their expressions when they could simply print from their desk and then go pick up their printout on the other side of the room or even from another room. They had no idea this could be done.

I also installed a new network connection over by their copier so that the laser printer could sit on a proper table, freeing up floorspace in the crowded room. I finished the internet connection in the guest apartment, just needing to anchor the cable to the wall.

Because I was spreading one full days work over two days, I was able to catch an early ride back to Lendem with William, who was in Bissau picking up some construction materials. A Portuguese Christian who is part of another ministry was looking for a ride home so we detoured off our normal path, adding only about 20 extra minutes to the trip.

At one point we needed to slow down for one of the many speed bumps found in Guinea-Bissau. A number of children strategically positioned themselves there, hawking bags of roasted cashews. Here's a snapshot of their salesmanship as well as the product they were pushing.


Children selling roasted cashews
Said cashews... about $1 worth
I wouldn't like to be passed by us
At least half of this road home was dirt. We were kicking up quite a trail of dust behind us. Not bad for us (at least until we got caught behind another vehicle) but I did notice nationals riding bikes in the opposite direction that would cover their mouths and squint their eyes as they prepared to be assaulted by the dirt we were kicking up.

Devotions have been in 1 Peter. I was reading about Christ being the chief cornerstone. Some workers here at the Lendem center have been building a wall of cement blocks. I've been impressed on how straight it is, especially when all they do is by sight, no surveying equipment involved. I can only imagine how careful that first block must be laid, both in height and direction, for the rest of the wall to turn out true.  (The wall starts at the other end being 3 blocks high.  You can see what happens.)
Man's attempt to lay the cornerstone

And yet God was the perfect architect for our salvation, using the perfect cornerstone and placing it in exactly the right place at the right point of time and heading for the culmination of our salvation, the cross and the resurrection.

Sunday is Easter. Hallelujah! Christ died for me. His is risen!


Comments