Implementation and Impact (and one missed impact)

Just a few days before Corey and I leave Guinea-Bissau.  I had some major items to accomplish at the Bissau center, each with the potential of major consequences, supposedly good, hopefully not negative. Though I had thought through and made a list of what needed to be done, I was a bit nervous on how the day would end.
We drove to Bissau, arriving just after 9 am. The bottom line is that I blinked and it was 11 am. I blinked again and it was 3:30 pm. A final blink revealed it was 6:30 pm, time to pack our gear, grab dinner and head home. What a short long day.

A technician from the local Internet provider was supposed to come to the center and log into their equipment so that we could disable some of their features and change settings so that the team at JAARS could remotely support our equipment, troubleshooting and making changes to meet their needs. When no one showed by 10 am, we called their office, only to learn that the technician hadn't come to work that day. Our administrator applied pressure and a guy showed up about noon.

I suspect this technician was a newbie... at least I hope so cause I was not impressed. Once logged in, he started hunting and pecking all round the menus as if it was his first time doing so. When asked to make several changes, he spent 10 minutes before coming back and saying that he couldn't. I switched to plan B and got some of our needs met but was not able to create an environment that would let us remotely manage the Bissau network.

At one point, he made a change and then wasn't able to get back into the system to keep looking around. I was concerned that the system was either broken or he was locked out for good. For a moment I thought they would have to replace their hardware because of a mistake he made. Then, like a good IT guy, I suggested he cycle the power on and off for his gear. Don't know why he didn't think of this but it worked. Whew!

While this was a disappointment, I can't say I was surprised after several meetings with the Internet provider the past two weeks. I'm praising God and very thankful that this was the only disappointment of the day.

By the end of the day I was able to move everyone from a network that had no security onto the system we had designed last year, complete with a network firewall (block bad stuff coming in), content filtering (block deliberate or accidental access of inappropriate content) and a highly secure wireless network.
(In Bissau, if a relative or a friend asks a worker at the center for the password, the worker feels obligated to give the password. That means many people are jumping on our network from nearby without our knowing, slowing it down. Our new system is using a list of known and approved computers. If the computer is not on the list, it isn't connected.)

The literacy, translation and OneStory teams all shared one HP laser printer. If someone wanted to print, they left their desk, walked to and plugged into the printer, printed, and then returned to work. Then I was told that any computer with Windows 7 wouldn't work with this older printer. That meant half the people couldn't print anything.
I attached the laser printer to the network to eliminate them having to go to the printer to print. I also downloaded software and created documentation to let all computers, including Windows 7, use the printer.
So, three blinks and the day is done.  I hardly saw Corey all day.  Most of his day was spent running the new power line along a building and into our guest apartment.  Since Derek was going to be spending the night there, Corey made sure that Derek had power.
Not a quarter pounder of beef.  Not even an eigth pounder.
I ordered a hamburger, appropriate spelled a different way in Portuguese, but also because it was different. The bun had a layer of french fries on the bottom, a thin, thin meat patty that tasted close to American beef, topped with a fried egg. Add ketchup and it was actually pretty good.

It's normal that I rest and even half-doze on the way back to Lendem. As mentioned in earlier blogs, we're traveling down dark and narrow roads, often with people walking, standing, bike riding along the sites. The driver has to be alert and beep the horn often to give a heads up to anyone ahead of us.

Gloria was driving and I was almost in la-la land.  A truck was coming toward us with its high beams on, making it hard to see ahead of us with the glare. I had closed my eyes. Almost immediately our car swerved and I learned that a cow had been standing directly ahead of our car. God was with Gloria because, at 50 mph, she was able to jerk the car left and then right (narrowly missing the truck as it passed) to dodge the cow.
So our prayers before each trip to/from Bissau and your prayers for our safety have been heard by God and he has been so gracious to us in many ways.









Comments