A short day turns long

We had a 2 hour meeting with Estevao Saturday evening, laying out issues, the work that yet needed to be done in Lendem and Bissau, and what would be left undone. My list had very few items for Lendem and a long list for Bissau. True to form, Estevao added new items to the list that we feel we might be able to do.

The plan is to spend two days in Bissau, the first being Tuesday (tomorrow). That meant that, as long as I was prepared for hitting the ground running tomorrow, then today's workload should have been very light, almost to the point of my twiddling my thumbs.

That was not to be...

There was a network device called a switch that the director thought was partially defective. I had replaced it with a larger switch over a week ago but wanted to determine if I should bring it back to the US for warranty replacement or just toss it. As I tested it more, I found that nothing was broken so now it is sitting on the shelf as a spare.

And as I tested it, I found that the other three similar switches were not configured according to current documentation. I spent a couple of hours correcting this so that we should now be able to log into these from JAARS and change the network remotely without the time (which could be up to a year) and expense (thousands of dollars) of coming back to Lendem.

Access to our new wireless network was also causing some people problems, keeping them from connecting to the internet.  A workshop started today.  A consultant and several national workers were reading recently translated text and determining if it was accurate and understandable and wanted access to the internet. Unable to find the cause, I used a small device called MagicJack to make a call to a manufacturer's support team in California. It's always interesting to get a reaction when you start the call saying “I'm calling from west Africa.” With a couple of suggestions, I was able to work through the problems and get the workshop team back onto the internet.

Corey and I also spent time preparing to bring back items that are either no longer needed in Guinea-Bissau (because of upgrades) or need to be repaired back at JAARS. In my case, I'm bringing back relatively small components for the fiber optic system that isn't working and an outside wireless router that we've replaced. 
The black item is the inverter
Poor Corey, however, has to bring back an electrical device called an inverter (converts DC battery power to AC). It is shorter but wider than a sewing machine and weighs about 5 times as much. Since all we brought is soft-sided luggage, we have no idea how to get this home.

As I come closer to the end of this trip, my first to an area where English is hardly spoken and that reveals how bad I am learning a language, I read 1 Peter 1 in several versions the past two days. The Contemporary English Version says “To God's people who are scattered like foreigners in Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia and Bithynia.” The word “foreigners” struck a cord with me. Foreigners almost invariably talk, dress, act, and think differently. They stick out. That's certainly me.

As Christians, we are supposed to talk, dress, act and think differently. On the other hand, a foreigner usually works very hard to not look like a foreigner.

I could never blend into another culture (especially where skin color comes into play) except perhaps Canada.

I would pray, though, that I would never succeed or even try blending into the world so that they would never see Christ in me.

Comments