By the Book

It turns out that Larry was feeling bad Saturday and didn’t know how to get hold of me since he couldn’t call into the building without a live receptionist, forgetting that I’d check email.

Making significant changes to a network configuration is almost always hazardous to one’s health, both the guy that made the change and the users, especially when they weren’t alerted beforehand about the change. In this case, it was moving all the shared data to the new server and setting appropriate security permissions.

Larry, Phyllis and I spent all day trying to figure out, when every verification we performed indicated that Winnie should have been able to do whatever she wanted with files in her part of the shared area, why she could do nothing but read her files. No changes, no new files, no deletions, nothing.  We didn't hear from anyone else since they were apparently all working with local (not shared) files.  We had no idea if Winnie was the only one.  Just in case she wasn't, the heat was on.

After the others left, I kept slugging away, googling everything, turning stuff off and then on, on and then off.  And then I happened to open a Microsoft “help” file about sharing folders. Those of us who have been around forever just know that help files are never helpful. Well, never say “never”. This time a couple of statements shed light on the problem, gave me one more thing to try, and VOILA! , the solution.

How many times do we (I) read a Christian self-help book? How many times do we (I) read a book about the Bible? How many do we (I) run everywhere but the “help” file (Word of God) for the solution? Thank you, Lord, for the solution.

Still have some major things to accomplish. I return home in 4 days.

Time to head back to the apartment and cook some hot dogs. Gotta get ready for some real American food.  :)

Comments