Never a dull moment!

What a day! Phew!

It all started when I checked my email and discovered that there is a critical staffing shortage at the huge SIL location, Ukarumpa Center, in Papua New Guinea and that I’ve been asked by JAARS to pray and consider filling preferably a one year position but possibly as short as 6 months starting in early June. I couldn’t believe I was asked for a decision tomorrow but found out later that’s because the process to get a visa to PNG takes so long.

I called Julie at 11 pm her time to discuss this. Can you imagine her trying to sleep after this? There are several significant issues that need to be considered: cost to move, Julie’s mom, and disposition of our SC home. We decided to send out calls for prayer and, from a few people, their input. The email responses from many were a blessing and the overall feedback was to proceed and see if God closes the door. 24 hours later and the door is still open.

The day was spent trying to finish up a couple of items, begin documenting some areas to leave with the Computer Services team here, and figure out a clean exit strategy so that, hopefully, remaining tasks won’t get buried. Bruce spent some time with me confirming that two of the three new 1 TB drives that were supposed to be used in the 3rd server (to hold all the personal user files) were bad. I was really hoping to have gotten that 3rd server online before I left.

The Computer Services team, plus two spouses, and the department head (total of 8 people) took me out for dinner to my last (for this trip) new international food. Tonight was Indian cuisine. I understand it’s the best Indian restaurant in town. I’m one to avoid spicy foods but, unlike Chinese food, there is no such thing as non-spicy Indian food. Still, there was a good variety from mild to hot and I just ate small portions in relationship to the rice, bread and water I consumed. At the end we ordered 3 desserts, none which were in English and none with descriptions. We each sampled all three and found them all different from each other and from anything we’d ever had.

Afterwards there were nice words from the department head thanking the team for the network upgrade and then he and Judith individually thanked me. They then gave me a gift of a giraffe. Sorry to say that my first thought was “How in the world am I going to get that home? It doesn’t fit in the suitcase!” Pretty quickly I realized, however, how much appreciation they were giving me. They are so nice to me. I’ll miss each of them.

After returning to the apartment (after 10 pm), I was amazed to find the internet connection working. It *never* works at night, though it always seems to be okay in the morning. Go figure… Anyways, I found many, many emails of encouragement about PNG waiting for me. I then called my daughter-in-law in Guam over the internet to chat, missing talking to my son (working) and my granddaughter (still in bed).

Finished packing my bags, disappointedly finding that I could fit everything into the larger bag, including the smaller bag, but that the weight was 55 lbs. It looks like I have to haul 2 bags (one almost empty), a backpack, a computer bag, and a giraffe all the way back to the US.

Got to bed after 1 am. Back up around 6:30 am. Last day this trip in Africa.

PS.  God is speaking to us about PNG.  We'll let you know what happens soon.



Comments

Anonymous said…
She's adorable! So how ARE you going to get her home? IS she really too big for the suitcase?
That was so very thoughtful of everyone. Don't let anybody steal her on the plane, okay?

Looking forward to seeing you soon and discussing PNG and praying together! Love, Julie