The Pied Piper

Three times a week, people from the surrounding villages set up an open air market from 6-8am here at Ukarumpa center.  So before work on M-W- and Friday, I head to the market with a basket and bags to purchase fruits, vegetables, roasted peanuts and flowers.

This morning I ran out of money and didn’t get flowers (a bunch is 1 Kina… about 40¢).  As I was walking home,   I overtook a group of children walking from the market to school.  I greeted them with a cheerful “Moning” in Tok Pisin.  I think they were so surprised that an adult was greeting them that they immediately started buzzing among themselves.  

One of the boys asked (in Tok Pisin) if I would like some flowers, and two boys ran back to the market and each brought me a little bouquet.  They gathered around me, following like the children of Hamlin.  I asked them their names and greeted each individually.  They asked where I live. 

As I neared our house, I told them I wanted to take their photograph.  Excitedly, they followed me to our front door.  Jon came out and here is the result.  

Click to enlarge

Delightful!

Comments