And a wake-up

When I was in the Navy, we were always in the midst of an assignment that had an end.  It might be when we left our current duty station and moved on to the next one.  It might even be when we got out of the military.

As we approached the end, we started a countdown, saying “xx days and a wakeup” meaning we had a certain number of full days plus the day we left our current assignment for the next one.

Today I am saying “one day and a wakeup.”  Julie and I are spending our last full day here in the US.  Tomorrow, at “o dark thirty”  (3:30 am), we wake, dress, stuff our too-much luggage into a JAARS shuttle van, and head to PNG.

The last days of packing have been a challenge.  Not to brag, but I’ve had the end in sight for a long time, slowly collecting my stuff into one area by my assigned suitcases.  “My stuff” includes extra items we’ll be dropping off with our family in Guam as well as some special items we will need just for the highlands of PNG.  I had a pretty easy time.  My bags are packed and I'm ready to go (as the John Denver song says).

Suffice to say, Julie still has many items still not in their assigned bags and I wonder if they ever will be.  It’s a slow process and I hope we’re not up until after midnight tonight.

Which brought to my mind that we, as Christians, are always to be ready…
  • To give an answer to the hope that is within us
  • To heed and answer God’s call
  • For our meeting the Lord face to face
  • For his imminent return

Am I? 

Are you?

Blessings this “one day and a wake up”.

Comments