Almost broke

It was a quiet and satisfying day today. Lots of people wanting to take a quick look at the pictures I took at the national park yesterday. The people are really making sure I feel a part of the team here.

Technically, I had proposed a solution using a capability of the Windows server operating system to replace a somewhat automated way of duplicating (backing up) departmental files with a behind-the-scenes, fully automated method. Larry watched while I set it up and tested it. I then talked over what was happening and the one drawback with the IT guys. The team believes it’s much better than the old way and will keep working with it.

It is really fortunate that we installed new servers last week and finished moving the center’s accounting system off an old machine on Friday. In trying to see if we could shut the old machine down for good, I found that it was hardly running, hardware dying as I worked on it. Good thing Jonathan, who did the software move, did a quality job because no one from accounting called today with any problems with the old machine shut down. Thank you, Lord! If ‘da accountants ain’t happy, ain’t nobody happy.

The rest of my day was spent smoothing out little issues on the network and preparing for the next major task which starts tomorrow. The job is to move all the user files off two servers that are to be retired and set up security so that Person A can get to his files but not files from Person B, and visa versa. The goal is to do this so that the users don’t skip a beat in getting their work done.

I’ve just about run out of money since I’d only planned on being in Kenya for three more days. With Tuesday’s approval of a two week extension from both sides of the Atlantic, I tried to use my MasterCard at an ATM machine but the machine said my PIN was invalid. I actually don’t think I’ve ever used that card at an ATM before so am not surprised.

Via the internet, I looked up my bank’s 800 number. Ever try to call a US 800 number from Africa? First of all, outgoing international calls from our building were blocked. Next, you pay an arm and a leg using a cell phone to call the US (like $4/minute). Next I tried using Skype to call the 800 number but that number could only be called from within the US. Solution? I looked up the toll (ie, not free) number for my bank, bought $10 of Skype credit, called that number (only 2.1 cents/minute!), got an automated 800 number that I *could* call from Africa for a way to reset my PIN. Voila! Isn’t technology cool? And it only cost me 24 cents.

All that work to reach my bank and ask for help. Asking for God’s help through prayer is so much simpler. No technology involved but so awesome none the less. You’d think I’d try it more often.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Good point!