The chief decides

Omonge walked in this morning. I asked how his wife is doing and he gave a chagrined look. Seems the doctor used some tool way back when they found they were expecting a baby but, after checking into the hospital last week, the doctor took another look. Oops! A mistake of two weeks. I haven’t heard of that happening in the US.

Have I mentioned the “Chief” mentality? Seems that Africans, raised in tribes where the chief not only has the final say but the only say, will follow the chief’s orders without question. No discussion, no proposing alternatives, just do it. I was told that happens in African Wycliffe organizations too, when the director makes a decision.

That happened today. While I could serious use some time with Omonge to get some important decisions that are getting in the way of our next projects, the director told Omonge today that his number one priority is to repair the internet connection to the apartment building (where the director lives). Wouldn’t happen that way in the US.

The department decided to go out for dinner the day before I leave Kenya, and spouses were invited. I sent an email to Julie and she said to count her in. When I told Phyllis, she said I could get a wife here in Kenya. I wonder who’ll pay to bring the new wife to the US. Ultimately, I think I’d pay for that decision.

I’m on my own for food now that Serge and Olivia are gone. They left a couple of small, probably overly ready eggplants. I picked up tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese the other day and cooked eggplant parmesan tonight, just the way I like it… lots of sauce and cheese. The knobs on Olivia’s stove are just about worn off and I don’t think the oven is all that hot (literally) but it worked well enough. Just enough to munch on for lunch.

I’ve been invited to dinner tomorrow night by two ladies here, followed by a prayer meeting at a Pentecostal church. Ought to be very interesting. Nice of them to ask me. Maybe they think I’m living on peanut butter.

Comments