"Are we there yet?"


This is a picture of the world's tallest building that I snapped on the way to the airport in Dubai. The picture doesn't do justice to how tall it is. The cool thing is that our God is bigger, far bigger.

My flight from Dubai was uneventful. While exchanging money into local currency at the Nairobi airport, a man asked to buy $20 US from me at a rate higher than the going rate so that he could by a duty-free gift as he was leaving Kenya. He said “God bless you” as we parted and I replied in the same manner. When I had finished converting money into local Kenyan currency, I turned around to find the man waiting for me. Turns out he’s a pastor living in the Columbus, OH area in the next town over from good friends and supporters. He was so complimentary about Wycliffe’s work in Kenya and gave me a few pointers on airport processing. Getting my visa and through immigration was slow but easy and my luggage came through fine despite all the plane changes. Though I was hand carrying a number of items destined for Wycliffe members in Nairobi, customs never asked to inspect my suitcases. Transportation arranged by the Wycliffe translation center got me quickly out of the airport at around 4 pm.

On first impression, Nairobi is generally on flat, relatively unforested land though there are a few arid low mountains nearby. I’m below the equator now so it’s kind of their winter season now. Temperatures will range from the high 50s at night to the low 80s during the day while I’m here.

The BTL (Bible Translation and Literacy) center is located up on a hill in what is considered a relatively nice neighborhood. It's a nice though small walled compound with a manned gate. There are basically four multi-storied buildings. The newest one, just completed by Wycliffe Associates, contains all the offices now and is what my projects will be focused on. The other three buildings are (I think) guesthouses/apartments.

A friend and missionary from Madagascar living in Kenya but serving the people in DR Congo came bounding out the door with a big hug as soon as I arrived. Serge and his wife, Olivia (a real joy like Serge, full of bubbly life), live in one of those apartment buildings. They’d offered to host me for these 3 weeks as soon as they heard I was coming. There’s only one rule in the house: If you don’t take care of yourself, you’ll starve.

There's no internet in their apartment (technical problem because of the recent office move) and my cell phone is NOT working out here. I don't know if Verizon was all wrong about my phone working here or if there's a switch that needs to be thrown. Anyways, BTL here loaned me a mobile device I can plug into the laptop that connects directly over the air to the internet. Super slow but it usually (!!) gets the job done.

After arriving and as people were leaving for the day, I got a short tour of part of the office building by Judith, the operations manager and who is overseeing the projects I'm here for. She's a smart (working on her MBA) and delightful lady. I met many others including Dan, the director, and saw Jeff Pubols briefly. Jeff and his wife, Heather, were with us in Orlando at Wycliffe’s orientation program back in the fall of 2006. Now they’re assigned here in Kenya providing computer support and communications skills. Wycliffe is a small world where you’ll always bump into friends.

Olivia deliberately made a simple meal of sausages (more like mini-hot dogs), mashed potatoes with gravy and a super hotter-than-wasabi red sauce (of Madagascar origins) to put on the potatoes. Dessert was small 3" bananas, ripe the way I like 'em. This was to be a meal to start getting me acclimated to African food. They’re taking such good care of me.

I was told about “African time” but tomorrow starts with a bang. There's an 8 am meeting that's half Bible study and then working meeting. They have very, very high expectations of me so I need God's enabling. I hope to read a little more technical info before bed tonight.

I'm feeling well adjusted to the time zone, having good sleep last night and then a couple hours more on the plane today.

Temperature is delightful... summer in VT. My bedroom windows are wide open right now. There have been mosquitoes flying around the apartment this afternoon and until now. I'm currently sitting on the bed, typing away on the computer, with the mosquito net dropped around me to keep some away right now. I've been reunited with my malaria medicine (stuck in one of the suitcases during this trip) and took one this afternoon. Hopefully I can stay on schedule with my once-per-day pill.

That's enough rambling for now. I’m 8 hours ahead of the east coast. It's almost 10:30 pm here and morning will come early enough.

Was reading Isaiah 41, focusing on verse 10. What a comfort to know that I'm upheld by his righteous right hand. There's nothing more sure than that, is there. The next thought in my head is that He, the chief cornerstone, is also our sure foundation.

Thanks for all that pray cover. I know it’s working and hope knowing this encourages you like it does me.

Comments

bel said…
Glad to hear of your safety and progress. -Joel and Bryn
Annisa said…
Hello, Jon:

I'm glad you arrived safely. My class, Effective Workplace Communication, is reading your blog. I'm teaching this online class for Community College of Vermont. The students and I are interested in learning about how you are using technology to communicate with your home base, your team there on the ground, and others. Learning about your use of technology in Africa addresses part of the "global focus" of our class. I hope to have students post questions and comments for you during your trip. - Annisa