Water into wine

I was trying to imagine how different Nairobi would have been 100 years ago, at the start of the 20th century, compared to now. Today’s downtown Nairobi is like many small cities, even like Charlotte, NC where I live now. Get a little away from downtown, however, and you can see the roots of old Africa, 3rd world culture and modern times.

The most obvious evidence is traffic. Being Sunday, I went with Serge and Olivia to their church, Mamlaka Hill Chapel, to lunch (where I added Chinese food to the growing list of international foods), and then back home to the BTL center. On the one hand, there are many cars pushing their ways into intersections with a daring that would cause my wife to shut her eyes and brace herself for a major collision. As a matter of fact, cars here are virtually scratch-and-dent-less with one exception of a fender bender I saw. If you don’t drive fearlessly, you might as well stay home. There are roundabouts (aka circles) everywhere. I only recall seeing one traffic light all day, and it was at a roundabout.

On the other hand, there are many people walking along the streets, many of them without sidewalks, and some of them (men, women and children) balance items of all shapes and sizes on their heads. Add to this the 3rd world tendency of having cars, trucks, small motorcycles and bikes (with one to four plastic milk crates stacked behind the rider) all using the same narrow lane. Mayhem to me, normal to them.

Mamlaka Hill Chapel was a wonderful experience. It’s planted right in the middle of the University of Nairobi and I’m sure I was the oldest person there. I would think the average age of the 1,200 people at the 2nd of three services was under 30 years old. With the exception of several worship songs (lead by a worship team of ~!5, including bongo drums) that were in Swahili, the entire service was in English. Some of the thick African accents were a struggle to follow. We were crammed onto narrow, thinly padded benches for the 90 minute service, a bit wearing on my sit-downer. The message was on Christian community and I walked away with some good insights.

This 25 year old church has planted 6 other churches and itself has outgrown its original building, adding an open air canopy to the front to seat most of the people and creating a platform in the center so that it can continue to present to those in the original part. I will have to experience a "normal" Kenyan church service away from the capital some other time.

Having returned to the BTL center mid-afternoon, I started hearing voices and fairly repetitive bangs from outside the apartment. Exploring, I found that the traditional Sunday afternoon volleyball game was on. I was able to play for about 90 minutes, progressing from an acute lack of proficiency to carrying my load. Thanks to my team’s gracious encouragement. Lots of fun but I find this morning that I’ve severely aggravated my right shoulder’s dormant rotor cuff problem. Oh well, I am hitting 60 later this year. When will I wise up? :)

I have two more weeks of work here in Kenya. I think all is well with the schedule but do not fool myself that much prayer is still needed and much grace extended to me and by me. I continue to pray that the Lord of the harvest will use my efforts to bring more glory to Him, not me.

How about you? In the story of the wedding at Cana (John 2), Jesus took six every-day stone waterpots, and filled them with just the regular water that servants had. Filled to the brim with well water with no room for anything more to be added. Jesus miraculously delivered the best wine of the day. God can take ordinary you, with your everyday abilities, and use you today to bring Him glory.

One final note:  I'll try to do better getting pictures to post.  I have generally been discouraged about taking something valuable (like a camera) along with me in public.  I was told I even needed to put my Bible out of view in the locked car.  A missionary and her visiting neice told me yesterday of almost being mugged/robbed while walking along the road down aways from the BTL center.

Comments