At home but leaving

Elijah, the son of one of the nationals here at the center, has just finished high school and is spending some time around the IT department He’s not very experienced with computers other than as a basic end user but is considering if he’d like to move into the computer field.

Somehow he’s decided that I should be his career advisor. He’s been asking all questions and asking for advice about a career in IT, how to get the training, where to go for college scholarships, about getting into the military (as I did) and all the details behind my answers. I have no idea what realistic options for a boy from Kenya are. For example, did his high school have someone on staff to provide input and guidance to graduates? You should have seen the disappointment on his face when I told him that only US citizens can join the US military.

I finished getting all the network switches installed throughout the main building during the lunch hour. Seems like everything worked first time, for which I’m thankful. Then again, better I mess it up rather than the normal IT staff since their relations with the others won’t be hurt and the worst case is that I’ll just get run out of town. (Just kidding, I was going to leave anyways.)

I guess I’m feeling at home at the office. (Is that an oxymoron?).  Larry came in late, Phyllis and Omonge were gone someplace for the first couple of hours. Guess who was manning the help desk, running around to users’ computers fixing issues like I knew what I was doing. Nice to be able to help out and glad that we can work as a team.

I’m working on a new project for the staff of the East Congo Group (ECG) who are based in DR Congo, to provide access to document folders that are located here with the rest of their staff in the bottom floor of the office building. It requires them remotely connecting over the internet connection, only accessing certain folders and not infringe on any data of the other organizations in the building. I’ve been making good progress on the design and now the implementation. I’m now trying to program the new network switches using a fancy technology that I’ve no experience with. I like learning new technologies but it takes time, which is becoming in short supply.

I went to a prayer meeting tonight on invitation from Winnie, a coworker at the center. The church, Nairobi Pentecostal Church, was started in 1956 by Assembly of God missionaries from Canada. I think it can hold about 500 on the main floor (all wooden benches with cushions for kneelers) and just as many when the balcony is used. I felt as if I was the only Caucasian there tonight and probably was. I expected to experience my 3rd African church tonight but actually found it was just like any AoG church in format. The only difference, besides being virtually all black, was the songs in Swahili, often without words on a screen. I normally have a hard time picking out what anyone (including the person with the mic) is saying with all the loud noise going on but it was truly impossible with the heavy African accented English with Swahili and tongues mixed in. I know the people were praising the true God, so I was thankful. Still, I was happy when the service ended and will stick to a bit more conservative African worship style going forward.

Omonge finally got the internet connection to the apartment working. Now I don’t need to grab my laptop, wander outside the office building to get the wireless connection, and sit under the lights posting my blog and calling family.

Nine days until I return home and I have way more work to do than hours to do it in. Pray that I can be efficient and effective and that I can keep my focus on the important stuff.

Comments

Anonymous said…
As a Newbie, I am always searching online for articles that can help me. Thank you Wow! Thank you! I always wanted to write in my site something like that. Can I take part of your post to my blog?
You don't indicate who you are or for what purpose but I will assume the best.

Yes, you may use parts of my blog, as long as a) you use them in context, b) use appropriate language, and c) indicate that you've drawn the material from my blog.

(Jon)