Who could imagine?

Where does one begin when exposed to so many unique experiences? Well, how about the beginning. Dear diary…

I finally got out of Nairobi yesterday. If you didn’t know, life is different over here. For example, we surround new construction with metal scaffolding; in Kenya they use wooden poles tied together. In Kenya, dogs, goats, cows, sheep, baboons… all can wander in the street. In Kenya, there are no lines down the middle of the road, no “stay in your lane” (there are no lanes), no “I’ll let you go ahead of me.”

Serge and Olivia took me to visit nearby Kenya national park to see the orphan elephants. My granddaughter apparently loves elephants above other African animals. She’d love seeing them drink from huge bottles filled with baby formula, roll in the wet dirt, knock a floating ball around the little mud hole.

We moved on to the Giraffe Centre, where you can look out on a savannah-type landscape and see many giraffes strolling around among the trees. They tend to come visit us at the fence for close-up pictures and hand feeding. Good thing there’s a wash stand nearby because giraffes slobber.

I got to visit the home of Karen Blixen, author of “Out of Africa” and many other books and then stroll around a Catholic retreat’s “Resurrection Garden”, a place of enforced silence, reflection and prayer. Pretty but the veneration of Mary and a famous Kenyan bishop spoiled a reflection on the free grace obtained from God because of Christ’s substitute payment for my sins.

My day closed out with a special treat. Former Wheaton college mates and then NH church pastor/wife have been serving at the Nairobi Evangelical Graduate School of Theology for over 10 years. They blessed me with some wonderful conversation and time of catch-up and a home-cooked American meal. I’ve been warned that I can’t return to Africa without Julie next time. As they said, who would have imagined back in the 70’s that we’d be meeting again in Africa.

Only God.

Here's keeping an eye on you.





Comments

Anonymous said…
Very enjoyable blog!
bel said…
we really enjoyed the elephant photos today. elenora even asked to see them again later in the day. love, b