It was hopeless... and I felt that way

It’s been two days since my last entry because so much of my time has been focused on work. A lot has happened in that area but it’s been a tough two days. Progress by mid-afternoon yesterday had been pretty good but then it became obvious that some key core background processes weren’t really running as they should.

I came back to the apartment and, after supper, decided to work on the project from here. Omonge and Serge had spent time yesterday tracing out and fixing why there had been no network connection here so now I had great performance not only to the internet but also able to connect to the servers from my room.

The long and short of the story is that, other than some time I spent helping Omonge rearrange the server room, moving the new servers in and cabling all the servers neatly together, three of us spent time trying to figure out what we could do to get the network back to normal rather than keeping people from logging in and/or getting to their data.

There’s been one other time when I was in a situation that looked absolutely hopeless with the only option one I didn’t want to face. By mid-afternoon, despite the abilities and experience of three of us, I fully expected us to have to re-do the network and put all the users through a terrible ordeal. Wow! I could hardly look people in the eye.

One of the other guys, Larry, had indicated that he wanted to spend time trying a procedure that’d he used once before in a similar-but-different situation. I didn’t think his idea would work, nor did I sense he was making still much progress. Didn’t matter to God, though. I’d prayed last night, this morning, at lunch, and after then that, since I was in that hopeless spot, that God would have mercy.

And He did! Larry led me to the server console to demonstrate his success. He, Omonge and I (perhaps more than the others) immediately felt so much better.

Toward the end of the day I got a video call via Skype from Julie who was home for the day, not feeling well. Technology is so wonderful when it serves to bring families closer together. It was so good to see and talk to Julie.

Then I had another Skype call, this time with a peer at the JAARS center about how to get a replacement hard drive carried by hand to Nairobi to avoid $300 in shipping charges. Fortunately, there are three people coming here next week and a fellow from Dallas offered to put into his bags. We also had a chance to talk about the problem with the servers this past day.

After a long 12 hour day and a nice “Olivia” supper, it’s time to call it a day. I think I’m finally getting through the night without really waking up.

Comments

Anonymous said…
So it really was a good day! Hope tomorrow is wonderful, too. Greet Serge and Olivia, and Francois for me. A very big thank you to Larry, and the Lord who gave him the idea and helped him to persist.